Garden Centre Sales Associate – St. Thomas
Are you ready to join Canada's most-shopped general merchandise retailer, with over 500 stores from coast to coast?
Canadian Tire offers customers a unique mix of products and services through three specialty categories in which the organization is the market leader – automotive parts, accessories and service; sports and leisure products; and home products.
Canadian Tire offers competitive compensation packages including; benefits, potential for profit sharing, extensive training, and career opportunities from within and across the country at the Canadian Tire Retail stores.
The Garden Centre Sales Associate works in a fast-paced environment that involves constant interaction with customers to deliver friendly and courteous service while explaining features and benefits of lawn and garden products. This role also involves garden centre maintenance (watering and caring for annuals, perennials and nursery stock), stocking shelves, merchandising, customer carry outs and general housekeeping.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Provides excellent customer service to all customers entering the garden centre, by educating them in the care and maintenance of annuals, perennials, nursery stock and related products.
- Guides customer to the location of requested items. Locates products in the warehouse.
- Deals with challenging situations in a professional manner.
- Learns about new lawn and garden products on a regular basis.
- Keeps up to date with in-store promotions, in-store deals and product locations.
- Ensures that retail basics tasks are executed efficiently.
- Stocks shelves and merchandise display areas using best practices, modules and planograms as guidelines.
- Maintains inventory accuracy and identifies/reports low stock levels.
- Maintains and rotates annuals, perennials and nursery stock to ensure they are fresh and appealing.
- Keeps the garden centre neat and tidy. Assists in the receipt of garden centre products.
- Experience in a horticultural customer service role and/or in a customer service role is considered an asset.
- A good working knowledge of nursery stock and horticultural products.
- Pesticide handling license, where applicable.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision with computerized systems. (i.e., POS systems, AS-400, RF Guns and PCs).
- Experience with Canadian Tire store and cash register experience are considered an asset.
- Strong orientation towards customer service excellence.
- Strong ability to plan and organize the Garden Center's activities and projects.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to maintain professional communication, even in challenging situations.
- Ability to complete detail-oriented retail tasks according to instructions and to demonstrate responsibility for outcomes.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment that provides assistance and support to co-workers to achieve common goals.
- Ability to resolve retail and/or customer issues.
- Ability to multitask, adapt and cope with challenging situations.
- Positive attitude, punctuality and solid work ethic.
More about the position:
Potential Career Opportunities
- Next levels: Garden Center Manager, Department Manager and Store Manager.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Standing/walking for 8 hours.
- Lifting and/or carrying of merchandise items, as required, on a regular, frequent and unassisted basis. Merchandise items may vary in weight from “light” to “heavy”.
- Ability to go up and down a ladder while carrying merchandise.
Our offering includes
- Competitive compensation and benefit package
- Potential for Profit Sharing
- Employee Shopping Discounts
- Flexible work hours
- Learning and Development opportunities
- Reward and Recognition Program
- A culture of performance & accountability
- A supportive and positive team environment
Background Check Requirements:
As a condition of employment, this position may be subject to the successful completion of the following pre-employment conditions:
- Employment Verification
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Canadian Tire stores are owned and operated by independent Associate Dealers. Each Canadian Tire store has the sole and exclusive right to interview, select, hire and train their staff.